Winner Receives $500 ADVANCE + PUBLICATION
Established in 2001, The Clay Reynolds Novella Prize highlights one book a year that excels in the novella format.
Submissions open each year on January 1 and close on March 31.
- A fee of $20 must be paid at the time of submission.
- Open to anyone writing in English. Translations are not eligible.
- Excerpts may have been published individually in magazines or anthologies, but the work as a whole must be unpublished.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, please notify TRP immediately by withdrawing the manuscript via Submittable if the manuscript is accepted elsewhere.
- Current and former students and faculty of Sam Houston State University are not eligible. Family and current or former students* of the final judge are not eligible.
- Submissions are accepted through Submittable only.
- Winner will receive a $500 advance, a standard royalty contract, and 20 copies of the published book.
*Writers who studied with the final judge for a semester-length period are not eligible. Writers who studied with the final judge for two-week residencies, single workshops, or other instances less than a semester in length are eligible, provided the work submitted is previously unseen by the final judge.
- Novella manuscripts should have a total word count of between 20,000 and 50,000 words.
- Please include a table of contents (if applicable), title page, and page numbers.
- Please double-space and use a 12pt. font.
- Do not include an acknowledgments page.
- Submissions are judged on an anonymous basis. Please remove any identifying information from the manuscript.
- Submit as a .pdf, .docx, or .doc file format.
- No revisions will be accepted once the manuscript is uploaded.
- 2022: Jane V. Blunschi – Mon Dieu, Love
- 2021: Deirdre Danklin – Catastrophe
- 2020: Cecilia Pinto – Imagine the Dog