Winner Receives $1,000 ADVANCE + PUBLICATION
Established in 1998, The George Garrett Fiction Prize highlights one book a year for excellence in a short story collection or novel.
Submissions open each year on July 1 and close on September 30.
- Submissions are open July 1 – September 30.
- Submissions are accepted through Submittable only.
- A fee of $28 must be paid at the time of submission.
- Open to anyone writing in English. Translations are not eligible.
- Stories or excerpts may have been published individually in magazines or anthologies, but the collection as a whole must be unpublished.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable. Please notify TRP immediately by withdrawing the manuscript via Submittable if the manuscript is accepted elsewhere.
- Current and former students and faculty of Sam Houston State University are not eligible. Family or former students of the final judge are not eligible. Previous winners of this contest, and current or former TRP authors are not eligible.
- Winner receives a $1,000 advance, a standard royalty contract, and 20 copies of the published book.
- Winner will be announced in November/December 2022.
- Manuscripts may be novels or short story collections with a total word count of between 40,000 and 100,000 words.
- Please include a table of contents, title page, and page numbers.
- Please double-space and use a 12pt. font.
- Do not include an acknowledgments page.
- Submissions are anonymous. Please remove any identifying information from the manuscript.
- Submit as a .pdf, .docx, or .doc file format.
- No revisions will be accepted once the manuscript is uploaded.